Generator And Carbon Monoxide Safety
Eastern NC residents enjoy beautiful summers and relatively mild winters. The flip side to this is our increased risk for severe weather such as tropical storms and hurricanes. Prepping for a big storm comes with the territory and many utilize backup generators to help with potential power loss situations. Using some key safety tips from the American Red Cross can help prevent accidental damages and keep your family safe.
- Never use a generator, grill, camp stove, or other gasoline, propane, natural gas, or charcoal-burning devices inside a home, garage, basement, crawl space, or any partially enclosed area.
- To avoid electric shock, keep generators dry and do not use in rain or wet conditions. Operate them on a dry surface under an open canopy-like structure, such as under a tarp held up on poles. Do not touch generators with wet hands.
- Opening doors and windows or using fans will not prevent carbon monoxide (CO) buildup in the home. Although CO is odorless and cannot be seen, it can rapidly lead to full incapacitation and death. Even if you cannot smell exhaust fumes, you may still be exposed to CO. If you start to feel sick, dizzy, or weak while using a generator, get to fresh air immediately.
- Install CO alarms in central locations on every level of your home or property and outside sleeping areas to provide early warning of accumulating carbon monoxide.
Following these simple recommendations is an easy way to ensure the safety of you and your loved ones. If your home or business suffers from storm damage, SERVPRO of Pitt/Greene Counties is here for you. Give us a call at: (252)-329-7205 for all of your mitigation and cleaning needs.